TatianaBoshenka

TatianaBoshenka

Catwings - Ursula K. Le Guin, S.D. Schindler It's no secret that I love Ursula K. Le Guin. I decided to read everything by her, so I got these kids books, the Catwings series. This is the first. They have the same solid reality and aching sense of longing that many of her fantasies for adult readers give. These would make a great introduction for any child to UKL's work, but are jewels of great beauty for grown-ups to cherish as well. The idea of cats with wings is so perfect. It just rings true, for some reason. UKL's books always have a sense of rightness about them, like that, that defies explanation. The things she invents feel as though they were discovered and not made up. She shares that quality with Tolkien, and consequently they're the only two fantasy writers I truly love.

I'm brokenhearted today for a completely non-cat- non-wing-related reason, but somehow these charming characters are just what I needed to feed and heal me. I'm taking them tomorrow to someone I dearly love, whom I hope may feel the rush of wings and brush of tail, and be fed and healed as was I.