TatianaBoshenka

TatianaBoshenka

The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House  - Neil Gaiman, Malcolm Jones III, Chris Bachalo, Mike Dringenberg Pretty good graphic novel, the second I've ever read. I liked this book less well than the first in the Sandman series. The character I do like, though he's often rather cruel. He's an eternal, and they aren't cruel or kind, really, they just are, I guess. Much less cruel he is than his sister Death, I suppose. The ending was satisfying when the right thing seemed to happen.

I think the graphic novel format is not one that appeals to me much. For one thing, it's hard for me to tell in what order I'm supposed to read things, and that continually brings me out of the story and back into the frame. These stories have a late-80s, early-90s sensibility to them, artistically, which for me interrupts their could-be timelessness. What's more timeless than sleep or death, after all? But Sleep's hairdo, though I suppose one could imagine it morphing through the years along with the world, looks rather dated. I think text avoids such datedness, and that's one reason I prefer it. Maybe in general I just like that it leaves more to the imagination.

The artwork is beautiful, yet I'd prefer it not be there. How odd! Anyway, if you like graphic novels and the horror-fantasy genre, you'll probably love these. I'm less enamored of them and probably won't read the rest.