TatianaBoshenka

TatianaBoshenka

The Book of Mormon Girl: Stories from an American Faith

The Book of Mormon Girl: Stories from an American Faith - Joanna Brooks I enjoyed this memoir immensely. Joanna is awesome. I learned a little more what it's like to grow up in the church I chose as an adult. We share the condition of being liberal and feminist in a church that swung a long way into conservative territory around the turn of the 20th century, and clings to patriarchy still today in the 21st. You'd think people like Joanna and me could just leave the church, but there's so much more to it than that. For Joanna, she has her whole pioneer family history, her whole experience of growing up. For me it's only the Restored Gospel, which is the worldview (and partnership with a living God) that unlocked my joy and gave me courage, energy, freedom, abundant life, and realms in which to exercise them.

Joanna feels that too, as is obvious, and it's given her the courage essentially to take on the whole patriarchal structure of the church. She declares herself who she is, a child of God, and reclaims the Restored Gospel from those who would try to say that LGBTQ people, liberals, intellectuals, and feminists are enemies of the church. She's become the human face of Mormonism to a wider public, lately, a political commentator and translator of the Mormon Experience into the American vernacular, into plain human terms. I think we couldn't have a better representative! Hooray for Joanna!